Lookie, Lookie. It’s my second fully finished cross-stitch piece for the year!! It’s just a little piece. I have two more big pieces waiting in the wings for me to get them framed. It will happen. One is waiting on some conservation glass…the other is waiting on me.
This is the finished piece. I just love it…
This wasn’t a quick project at all as many of the things that could go wrong, did.
Here is my finished cross stitch.
The chart is From Brenda Gervais of With Thy Needle and Thread. It’s called Rudolph & Friends.
I stitched mine of a 40-count scrap of linen using the called-for colors. I wanted to keep mine out all Winter so I didn’t stitch the candy cane and I made the deer’s nose black. We had a lot of deer in our area and we see them in the wild year round so having a deer and a snowman on the same piece is a very natural winter scene.
Last week I ended up finishing a piece in a small frame rather than making a pillow and I really liked that so this time around, I ended up deciding to do the same.
That wasn’t an easy decision. I first dug through all my wooden boxes and trims auditioning other ideas but then the frame idea really won out. So I dug through my little frames and nothing was square. Drat. That meant I would have to cut something down.
I ended up finding this old frame…I think I paid $1 for it at the thrift store or a garage sale. I remember Kalissa was with me and she gave me that look…the one a daughter can give a mom that immediately makes you question what you’re doing. It was the “you’re gonna buy THAT!?!” look. Yep. I was going to buy it and I’m so glad I did.
The frame was large and beat up…but the right kind of beat up to look a little primitive…and a little rusty, crusty. That’s just what I wanted.
It ended up being a lot more work than I anticipated. I often can use a frame and can cut it so I can keep the corner intact. This time the frame was so ratty that I couldn’t I had to take the frame completely apart and cut it.
Then I measured wrong and had to do a recut on one side. Then a piece of the frame didn’t make a clean cut and cracked off so another recut. Then I couldn’t remember how to use the corner joiner as I don’t use it regularly. UGH. It was one thing after another.
I finally ended up just gluing the frame together. THIS is the frame clamp that I use.
I ended up using sticky board…that too I had to cut and recut. I put one layer of batting on the sticky board. Then I laced the cross-stitch piece over it.
People have asked why I use batting. It really hides the imperfections on the back. The lumpy, bumps that come on the back from layers of thread piling up where color changes happen loft into the batting and hide them so you can’t see any bumps from the front of the project.
I ended up SUPER happy with my frame choice. The color of it is perfect.
I’ve had people ask me to video how I cut down frames. WOW…that’s a hard one to even think about filming. Nothing ever goes completely right when I cut down a frame. I am always back and forth from the kitchen to the garage and then upstairs to get a piece of batting. It’s a mess. I will keep thinking about that though and try to come up with a plan that will work. My best advice to you is to just try it. If you already have a chop saw, it’s a cheap project to try. A frame can be found for only $2…wood glue, you likely already have…the clamp $13. There isn’t a lot of expense to it.
Be still my heart…I just love that little crusty old frame. I am so pleased that I made it into a framed piece vs a pillow. Even though the thing gave me quite a few fits. My work isn’t perfect but I don’t really care. I think it adds to the prim look of it all.
I’m so happy to have another finish. Hopefully, I can stay on a finishing roll and show you another finish next week!!