I finally, after about four years, finished the first project I ever stitched on 40-count linen. The project is Pins and Orts from Heartstring Samplery.
I had stitched the outer wreath of flowers but had always thought I would put my initials in the center vs. the words Pins and Orts as it is charted. But, that would require me finding a charted alphabet and counting to make sure it would fit. So it sat.
So after my recent cancer event, my daughter said to me, “Mom, you can’t die because I don’t want to finish all your WIPS.” She was joking but it got me thinking…I should finish these so I can enjoy them. So…I stitched my initials and it was ready to finish.
I have been looking for the right piece to finish this on. I had bought the tin shown in the picture but I bought the wrong size. Then one day, before this was finished, I found a paper mache piece at the thrift store. I think it was only 25 cents. PERFECT.
Next, it was time to paint it…
On one of my recent trips to the doctor, I stopped at Micheals and got some paint. I picked the darkest blue paint I could find. I wanted something so dark blue it almost looked black but I couldn’t find anything. I ended up with this…
I ended up putting two coats of paint on and then a layer of dark wax.
I cut a stack of quilting batting like this…You can see they go from large to small.
I gave my piece a good ironing to get any wrinkles out. I cut out a piece of sticky board about 1/2″ smaller than the top of the container.
I ran thread through the center of the stack of batting circles and tied a knot to keep them all together. Then I pulled off the paper and stuck it to the sticky board circle. Next I put the batting over the top of the stitched area and cut around it as shown in the picture on the left. Then I took needle and thread and gathered it around the edges.
After it was gathered I stitched a spider web on the back cathing each of the sides and pulling them even tighter together. In the end I was pleased with it.
I had painted the inside but wanted to dress it up. I ended up cutting a circle that would fit in the bottom from a cracker box and covered it with fabric.
I forgot to take pictures of me adhering the stitched piece to the top. I was so excited to have this finished I just plum forgot. I found a matching red rick rack. I glued that around the edge. Then I glued the stitched piece on top of it.
I ended up really liking it!!
I love that I used so many layers of batting and made it poofy.
I don’t have a “home” for it yet at my house. The grandkids showed up just as I was finishing it so I have had a chance to rearrange and move stuff.
I’m VERY pleased with it.
I am taking the finishing of this as something good that came of my cancer return. I finally got this completely finished!!