I fully finished my piece for June 2023 Summer Cross Stitch Camp with Sherri from Colorado Cross Stitcher.
I believe this was stitched on a scrap of 40-count Vintage Meadow Rue by Lakeside Linen. The piece was small but I was able to easily stitch it because I had my new Nurge hoop. You can find them HERE. I got the extra small one. I used the called for colors.
You might remember I said I had a goal to be up earlier in the morning to sneak in a little sewing time. Well, Monday morning I decided that my sewing time would really be time for finishing my cross-stitch piece into a pillow.
I really just planned on starting to finish it. I didn’t think I could finish a pillow in the short amount of time that I had. I kept telling myself to just quickly make choices and maybe I could do it. Sometimes I don’t do the best with decision-making and can drag out a project much longer than need be.
My piece was Patriotic Rose by Threadwork Primitives. I showed this to you as a finished piece of Friday.
My plan was to add red along the bottom as they did in the pictures but I opened up a drawer to pull the fabric and by accident, I opened the blue drawer of fabric rather than the red one…and there was this fabric. I thought it was perfect. The blue looks good with the blue leaves.
I attached a strip of fabric to the bottom and ironed it. I cut a backing piece that was a little bit bigger. I always do it this way.
I added a light interfacing to the back of the front stitched piece and the backing fabric.
I auditioned a few pieces of lace to put between the fabric and the stitching but nothing caught me. The original pattern shows some stitching between the two. I had never done that embroidery stitch before so was going to go the easy way and just add lace. In the end, I got brave and did the embroidery stitches. I’m so glad I did. I love how it looks.
While I was doing the stitching I noticed that the pictured piece didn’t have as wide as a piece of fabric on the bottom so I ended up trimming that down.
From there I finished the way I finish all of my pillows. I put polyfill in the corners and lizard litter for filling…then polyfill again at the opening where I stitch the pillow up. You can find lizard liter HERE. I used a ladder stitch for closing. You can see how I do that HERE.
I’m so happy with this little piece. It took me about 25 minutes to finish it into a pillow. Most of that was because I was doing the embroidery for the first time. It was easy. I should have never fretted about it.
I have no patriotic pieces stitched so this is my first. I have a few other patterns I’d like to do. I do have one started so I’m hoping I get that one done before next year and will be able to enjoy them both when summer rolls around again.
One nice thing about stitching small pieces is that I can afford to finish them myself with no extra help at all. I also like them because I don’t have to find wall space.
All in all…I’m happy to have another finished piece.