I finished up my stitch-along piece Home Sweet Home by Little House Needleworks. This was a stitch along many of us have been working on over the last month and a half.
I’ve really been into finishing many of my things in small frames vs pillows. It’s just a thing I have. I always figure I could easily add a small frame to a dough bowl OR I can hang it OR I can set it out like I am in the photo above. I feel like framing gives me more options.
I take old frames and cut them down to fit my pieces. That was my plan on this day too. I had the worst luck.
I started out with ironing and measuring the size of frame I wanted.
I made a frame and had a miscut and then the frame ended up too small…UGH
I ended up pulling a really beat-up old frame from my basement. I paid $1 for it. My original thought was that I would have to paint it but then realized that the size I needed was small enough that I could avoid the places where the finish had come off the frame.
I made the frame but drat. It was too tall. I went back to the chop saw with new measurements and tried again. I’m new at this and they don’t turn out perfect every time.
I put on some Restor a Finish in Dark Oak color way.
Awe…much better! I LOVED it. The blackish color in the frame looked great with that basket.
Next up, measure the size and cut a piece of sticky board.
I cut a piece of batting the same size and then adhered it to the sticky board.
Next, time to trim my stitched piece. I trimmed it to 1 1/2″ from the stitching.
Then I laced it.
Next, I cut down a piece of glass. I didn’t use a special glass on this. It’s a small piece and not a family heirloom so I wasn’t picky. I was just going the frugal route. Then I put Glaser points in.
Then I put the nail holder on…
Then it was time for brown paper to give the back a cleaned-up look…and the index card with the info about the stitching.
I flipped it over to check it out…AH, I liked it.
This is the finished piece. I was happy with it. The funny coloring in the right upper corner is just my camera. It’s all good.
For the record, if you want to stitch this, the colors have changed since the chart was published. I used Moss for the green and I used Manor Red for the red part of the flowers. Everything else was the called for colors.
I’m very happy with this piece. I’m sorry the green and red colors were frustrating for a few of you. It’s hard with older charts. I’ve gotten so I buy the threads when a pattern comes out and put the floss with the chart if I know I am absolutely sure I am going to stitch the pieces to try it avoid some of these troubles if I stitch a few years down the road.
I love this piece because it’s so classic. It looks great in my house the way I framed it. It fits in with all of my antiques and older stuff. I’ve been moving it all around the house trying to find the perfect place. To be honest, there hasn’t been a place that it didn’t look pretty. I’m so glad I stitched this one!
These are all of the things I used to put my cross-stitch piece together. If links to find them are available I have added them.
Glaser Point Tool
Sawtooth Picture Hangers
Index Card Holder
Restor a Finish