Hey…I finished a cross-stitch piece. This one was a long time coming…
Back in 2019 when Kramer my husband was in the hospital I was stitching this. I was back to stitching and wasn’t the best at knowing what I was doing.
I ended up stitching this too far to the right and ended up with little to frame it. I had thought I might make it into a pillow but then stopped and decided to add some fabric to the side instead.
I believe I heard either Olivia at Pumpkin Hollow Quilting or Kim the Contented Stitcher on Flosstube mention doing that. I thought it was a great idea.
So…I sewed some fabric to the edge.
I found an old picture frame at the thrift store. I think I paid $2 for it. I took it all apart before I realized that I didn’t take a picture of it first.
I measure my piece. I put masking tape on the frame and then marked my cutting lines. I use my sewing rulers for this all of the time.
I cut them with the… chop saw and glued them in place with wood glue. I use this handy clamp to hold it all together. (THIS is the clamp I used)
While that was all drying I took the time to lace my piece.
Here is what it looked like after I added the extra fabric.
You can see just a smidge of the fabric from the front but that won’t be seen as it will be hidden under the lip of the frame.
I tried something new this time…
I cut glass to go in the frame. I had ZERO idea that cutting glass was so easy. A blog reader encouraged me to give it a try and I did. I used THIS little tool.
It’s really about as easy as using a rotary cutter.
I lined everything up. Dipped the blade in sewing machine oil and ran it on the edge of the ruler. I picked up the glass, wobbled it at the seam I cut, and it broke (not a scary break) right on the cutting line.
I was shocked that it was so easy. I’ll be doing it again for sure!
Next I added
Now my piece looked like this…
I added paper to the back to clean it all up. I also added my envelope and card to the back to record the information about the piece.
You can find the cards and holder for them HERE.
Oops. I have to cross out that 2019 by my name.
Here it is all finished. I love the molding on this little frame. It was just the perfect frame for it.
I thought I’d give you an up-close of how my corners look. They aren’t perfect but not bad for the beginner that I am.
This was a kit that included the chart and linen. This is likely 30-count linen so I used two floss threads over two linen threads. I have gone through my charts and didn’t think I would stitch some of the other Lizzie Kate charts I had but this turned out so cute. I might have to go back and look through the charts to see if I might want to keep a couple of them. Hmm. I love the size of these to change up the look of my stitching wall.
I am so excited that I’m tackling some of these projects myself and learning new skills. I guess it’s not too late to teach this old dog some new tricks. After every piece I finish I get more and more confident.
I’m off to see if there are any other pieces I have stitched but not finished. I’m just thrilled that I am able to finish these myself now. They aren’t perfect but they are much better finished than in the drawer.