I have my first fully finished cross stitch piece fully finished for the 2023 calendar year. It’s just a little one but I am completely smitten with it.
I’ve had it stitched for a few weeks already but just haven’t squeezed in time to fully finish it. Sometimes, I let myself ruminate over things for a bit before I finish them especially if they are small pieces. This one is small and it’s improvised quite a bit over the original pattern.
I started out thinking I was going to make it into a pillow. Then I thought I would attach it to the top of the box…but in the end, I didn’t do either of those. I ended up framing it.
First, let me share the pattern with you. It’s called …A Happy Life by Notforgotten Farm. It’s meant to be a primitive piece. I don’t mind primitive but not the over-the-top prim. To make it my own piece I left off the top border/vine. I also changed up the colors. It called for a blue…but I’m more of a red girl so I changed the color and used the color Calico Kitty in parts of the words. I also added a dog in the lower right corner. I added a black dog to represent my Aussiedoodle Izzy. I make her collar the red/pink color to tie the color together but then the black felt off so I added a black band to the basket and called it done.
This was my piece when I started. It was stitched on a scrap. At the time I didn’t care that there wasn’t much margin as I was going to make a pillow….well that kind of bit me in the butt.
I have this little frame in my stash that I just loved. You might remember that I went to an auction some time ago and bought a box of little frames. This was one of them.
I didn’t need to cut it down. As is was fine…but look at the bottom of my stitched piece. It wasn’t big enough to lace. UGH.
I could figure this out. The frame was perfect for this so I had to figure out how to make it work.
I ended up adding a piece of muslin to the edge…
…and then laced it. I did add one layer of batting between the stitched piece and the board I was lacing it around.
Look at the bottom edge of the frame. You can see that the muslin is going to be hidden under the lip of the frame.
oops…I could see the muslin so I carefully manipulated the piece sliding the muslin down closer to the edge of the piece I was lacing around.
There it was…just how I envisioned. Look at the bottom. You can’t see that muslin I added to the piece in order to frame it.
Oh, I love it. It’s perfect for me and my house. I love the little bit of primitive look but not overly primitive. Perfect to go with my antiques.
This is exactly the type of piece I wish I had more of….not seasonal and able to out year around. This will likely hang out here in my dough bowl for a bit and then move around as I need fillers.
I’m so glad I made the changes and added Izzy to the piece. It’s so fitting for me.
This had sat as an unfinished piece for some time. There was always something I didn’t quite like…the coloring…the vine…the empty space. I’m so glad I let it wait until I could make it into what I wanted it to be.
Sometimes it’s good to let things go into UFO status because then when I come back to them I’ve had enough time to make the piece what I wanted it to be.
I’m off to go check out Notforgotten Farm’s other patterns. I wonder if she has anything else that’s small and simple like this so I could have another versatile piece.
I know I already said this…but I love how this turned out.