I told you in my “What I’m working on” post that I needed to just stop and clean up my sewing room. It wasn’t terrible but it definitely wasn’t what I wanted. In the past, I’ve been able to shove things aside and sew with a mess there but this was about five projects worth of mess plus pictures that needed to be hung.
I worked on that on Monday and then I started organizing all of the random pieces I have for my grandson Anders’s baby quilt. YES! I do need to get working on that. I might have it ready for his baptism if I ever get working on it.
If you’ve been following along you know that I’m made a series of Youtube videos showing you how I’ve been making this.
I have put in some time off-camera and have been making some of the inside pieces of the quilt.
I thought I would show you what I have and behind-the-scenes thoughts I have on this…
I’m so thrilled to have this one done!! The baby has been contemplating an early arrival….well not the baby as much as Kalissa’s recent tests and ultrasounds. A week ago at an ultrasound little Mr. Friedman was already an over 8 pound baby. That was with a month to go. A C-section before the due date has been mentioned…for now we wait. We need to keep that baby incubating as long as we can.
In light of all of that, it’s good I have this finished!!
I took a lot of pictures and hope to do a little commentary on the process of my thinking while I made the quilt.
Check out the wonky log cabin blocks in two to the corners…I love how they look…. I did them like this with the hope that the neutral background would “turn the corner” with the letters.
With Carver’s baby quilt I bound in red…this time I decided to see if I could use one shirt and have enough for binding. I easily did.
I went with a blue and I really like the look. The red made it seem a little more “fenced in”.
There is a lot going on with this quilt. It’s busy but I love it. The blocks are actually sewn together in rows. The blocks were 8″ wide but they could be any length. They were then sewn into strips to come up with a 40″ row.
Then I put on a 2″ inner border. The the outer border was again cut at 8″ wide.
I tried to add some cute details…see the little strips of scraps under the letters. It would have been MUCH easier not to add that but I wanted to spice it up.
To make these quilts fun it’s important to “do the little details”.
Other things I did was make LOTS of stars. I made the flying geese line up in a row.
Here they are from another angle.
For the colors I stuck with primarily blue, reds, yellows and neutrals. I like it MUCH better than when I mixed all of the colors in.
Everything is free form. I don’t measure a thing. I don’t plan much of it out. I often find a piece of something in the scrap box and build on to it or I cut it up. I try to change things up….some stars are all the same color, some are red, some have a background scrap for the center of the star. Some are cut wonky after they are made. Some are put on the diagonal…some not.