Category Archives: Bonnie Hunter

A Quilt Finish: Cheddar Bow Ties

In my war on truly catching up in the sewing room I’ve been tackling the pile of flimsy quilt tops.  On the pile was a quilt of Kelli’s, Cheddar Bow Ties.  This quilt has been a top for a long time.  Now it’s finished.

This started as Bonnie Hunter’s 2011 Leader and Ender Challenge.  More info on that HERE.

Kelli didn’t follow the suggestion and use one solid cheddar fabric.  She used many cheddar printed fabrics.  The quilt is comprised of Civil War prints.

I think the color selection makes the quilt look like it’s dancing.

I don’t ever think of a bow tie block as anything special at all but just look… Continue reading

My Bonnie Hunter Mystery Parade

Being I just finished up this year’s mystery quilt I thought I would do a little recap of all the mystery quilts I’ve made to date.

Carolina Christmas was the ’09 quilt.

I didn’t know how to blog then and my pictures were terrible.  This quilt lives at Kayla’s house.  I loved the whole mystery aspect and was sold on making them after I did this first mystery.

Roll Roll Cotton Boll  (read the original post here)
I did this as the mystery.  I wasn’t a string girl at all at the time.  I remember dreading when I heard the words string.  I almost gave up on the mystery right then.  I can’t tell you how happy I am that I moved on beyond that.  Strings honestly opened a whole new world for me.


Of all of the quilts, I would definitely make this one again.  Of all the quilts I’ve made for mysteries, this is my favorite.  I think the reason I love it so much was that this quilt sold me a scraps.  Before this quilt I did scraps…but this one showed me I loved scraps.


Mine was all Civil War fabrics and it looked good in those.  This quilt is a keeper.  I won’t gift it.

Orka Bay (more about the quilt HERE)

I did this as a mystery.
I loved this as a mystery…one of my favorite ones.  The border had me really loving the quilt.


I had some UFO blocks and was doing a UFO challenge at the same time I was working on this.  I ended up putting the blocks on the back of the quilt.


This is by far one of my favorite mysteries.  I love everything about it.

Easy Street #1 (read more about it HERE)

Mine is made with primarily Civil War Reproduction fabrics.  I didn’t have purples so I replaced pink for purple.

That year I made TWO mysteries.  Yep, never again for sure.

Here is my Easy Street #2Continue reading

Quilt Finish: Frolic

I’ve had my Frolic mystery quilt done for a bit now.  It’s been so incredibly windy here that I’ve struggled to get pictures taken….that and I’ve gotten so many other quilts finished that this has lingered at the bottom of the pile.

One of my quilting goals for the year was to not let this quilt sit and fall into the UFO pile.  I think I did okay with that.  I actually did the long arming in March-ish I think.

Once the mystery was revealed I immediately had a regret….

It was my choice of the dark green color.

When the dark green is by the dark blue, it kind of melds together.  I think that’s partially because I chose batiks to work with.  They are more blended by nature anyway.

Here’s a closer picture so you can see what I mean…. Continue reading

Quilt Finish: Jewel Box Stars

I finished my Jewel Box Stars quilt….Bonnie Hunter offered this as a Leader and Ender a year or two ago.  I didn’t join then..but last fall I decided to make the quilt.  I didn’t do it as Leader and Ender style though…I just made it.  You can find the pattern HERE on Bonnie Hunter’s site.

Mine and Bonnie’s are some different.  Bonnie used all colors in her’s, I took a step back and did a limited color pallet.

I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting with my scrap quilt making.  I used to always throw everything in.  Lately I’ve been thinking things through and being more selective.  Goodness knows I have enough scraps and don’t need to throw everything in.

For this quilt I decided on greens, blues, purples and pinks.  I was careful to try to not add an olive green.  I was open and let blue be defined very broadly.  Blues could be from navy to lighter blue to periwinkle to teals and aquas.

Here’s a closer picture to help you get an idea of what was included…. Continue reading