Well today is the last day of the Bonnie Challenge. For the last few weeks a bunch of sewed and sewed on our Bonnie Hunter UFO projects hoping to get one finished before the new mystery started yesterday.
With the holiday this week, the kiddos home, a deadline project and working on charity quilts, I haven’t been able to accomplish a lot on my UFO challenge. I did finish up all the blocks for Smith Mountain Morning and get all of the outer triangles cut out. Mine is going to be bigger so that meant more blocks. I am not going to pack this away again, but I am going to set it aside. If I get a break in between projects, I’ll pick it back up again.
I have enjoyed sewing along with all of you. Having the challenge on the blog really made me focus and work hard towards a finish.
I did get a couple pictures sent to me by blog reader Cathy that I offered to share…
Here is her Lazy Sunday…Awesome right?!?!
I think this is one of my favorite Lazy Sunday’s ever.
Here is Easy Street with pillowcases that match, also by Cathy.
I bought backing fabric for my 3″ spools quilt and have plans to quilt it on the 10th. Just have to figure out what I’m going to quilt. I did two quilts last month with a borrowed pantograph and enjoyed the process more than I thought I would, so I think I’m going to check out what’s available where I rent time.
I got the top of Sister’s Nine Patch finished, but need to brave the crowds to get batting and backing material to quilt it. I also worked ahead and finished my Quilt Square Quilt Along top, so I wouldn’t be distracted from the Quiltville mystery quilt :)
I got my Boxy Stars top finished….probably been 2 years since I worked on it last. It’s in line to be quilted next. I’m so glad the challenge was out there to push me along.
I made no progress on the rows of Cathedral Stars this week. But since I set my goal at just finishing the blocks, I’m a winner! Last night I cut the neutral “tri” units for Celtic Solstice. Today I will cut the blue “recs” and see how many I can get done. I was glad to see in Bonnie’s photos that she’s no more accurate on those blasted things than I am. Nevertheless, the overall effect of those spikey star points definitely makes the effort worthwhile.
Nothing else done on Carolina Christmas this week. I had to put my sewing stuff away to get ready for Thanksgiving. My dining room table is also my cutting table.
Unfortunately I didn’t get Easy Street finished and I’ve worked on it just about every night since you started the challenge. The good news is, I should be finished tucking threads by Monday night and can then tack the binding down.
Thank you for sharing. Does Cathy have a blog? I would love to see close up pictures of her Lazy Sunday blocks. Love it!
I’ve been working on my Farmer’s Wife quilt. I’ve had the blocks done for about a year and as a result of your post it’s now half a quilt. I have my spool blocks but I’m saving them for Bonnie’s next book I have made about 200 of those suckers so I hope that’s enough! Thanks for the little “push” to get working on it. Now I have about 10 tops that need to be quilted but I have the “Wonderful Grand Quilter for that” ……………..
Well dangit!!! This time of year is always so busy, and I had TWO baby quilts that had to be done for gifting at Thanksgiving, so I never got to touch my Bonnie UFO :( I’m looking forward to this year’s mystery though. Thanks Jo for hosting this challenge – maybe I’ll be better prepared next time :*)
Thanks for sharing Cathy quilt, I love it. Is lazy Sundays the name of the pattern. I would love to have it.i drooled over that border. It’s great. I really love your blog with you quilting and sharing family food and sewing with us. Your a blessing to me.
I have been working on Orca Bay from two years ago. I haven’t made a lot of progress but I will keep sewing away at it. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving with your family.
I linked up, but my progress is at a standstill until I make more of the Border units. It would have been nice to make it as I went along like Bonnie has us do with the Mystery. Thanks for cheering us on to finish something before the New Mystery Started.
Fair & Square made it onto the quilt machine! I auditioned threads, I picked a pattern. I started quilting it. I got it 1/3 of the way quilted and decided that the variegated thread I used, fought the busy-ness of the piecing. So Fair & Square came off the quilt machine to be ripped out. My goal was to have it all done before the mystery started, so I didn’t quite make it. . .BUT all of my pieces for Step 1 are cut and 50 blocks are sewn and dogears trimmed! :)
You made lots of progress Jo! Thanks for hosting this challenge and getting us moving on some great quilts!