I’m doing a little series of posts that feature old blog posts. I have been going back and looking at them. It’s been fun. I started blogging in June of 2009…WOW. Over Ten years. I’m so glad I’ve kept the blog as a diary of sorts…today I’m telling you about making headbands using wool scraps and my Accuquilt Go. I don’t have my Go anymore.
The first headband was made with the smallest flower and the smallest circle on the Rose of Sharon die. Kalissa wanted flowers from ear to ear so there are 22 flowers across the band. Layer a circle on the top of the flower. Stitch an X through them then attach the flowers to the headband by sewing another X through the flowers and the headband.
This headband was made with the second to the largest flower on the Rose of Sharon die and the smallest circle of the Circle die. Layer the circle on top of the flower. Use a gathering stitch, stitching through both pieces pulling up the stitches as you go. Stop a bit before you get to the stitches and stuff a small amount of stuffing into the circle to make it poof. Finish stitching. Secure the stitches. Stitch the flower along with two leaves to the headband.
The daisy was really fun….you’ll need 13 white leaves and 2 green leaves along with one of the largest circles all from the Rose of Sharon die. Layer the tips of the white petals in the flower shape. Stitch through all the layers securing the leaves in place. Stitch the circle to the center of the flower using a running stitch. Stuff just a bit of stuffing into the center of the flower. Secure the stitches and sew to the headband. Sew two leaves to the headband too.
This flower is my favorite. It looks like a mum or a zinnia. You’ll need to cut four large, three the next size smaller and two the next size smaller of the flowers on the Rose of Sharon die.
Cut into the pieces as shown.
Layer the pieces on top of each other. Stitch through the center pulling tight to make the flower fluff. Stitch through several times. Then sew a shank button to the center. Attach to the headband along with two leaves.
The last headband is Kalissa’s favorite. It has roses. This one uses your Double Wedding Ring die (yes, Double Wedding Ring) and the Rose of Sharon die to cut five leaves. You need one of the “leaf” shapes cut for each rose you want.
Cut the notches off. Then fold the shape in half as shown.
Start rolling the piece with the raw edge to the top.
Continue rolling until all is used. Then flip it upside down and stitch through the bottom layers to keep the rose from unraveling.
Attach the roses and leaves to the headband.
I made a video so you can check that out if you want. Here’s the link.
You can also watch it right here.
This video was made back in 2010…yes my hair was short then. Back then Kalissa had a little flip video camera. Oh, times have changed. I love my low maintenance long hair!!
I did have a lot of fun making these headbands and Kalisssa loved them. At some point, I’m probably going to wish I had the dye and my Accuquilt as I’m betting my granddaughters would like some headbands…and that’s what I was doing in October of 2010.
2 thoughts on “Blast from the Past: Making Headbands”
with the way you love your grandbabies, i bet they will get headbands even if you have to cut the shapes the old fashioned way. Loved this tutorial. this sort of thing helps loosen the tension in the shoulders and clears the brain a bit. thank you
What cute headbands.