One of the things on my to do list was to fix the bedroom curtains. I’ve been trying to not spend a lot of extra money and make do with what I have so I took our old living room curtains and rods from the farm and decided somehow they’d have to work for our bedroom.
I hung them second day we were at the house….UGH. …too long.
I wasn’t especially happy with the tab feature either. Being our house has lots of antiques, the tabs just didn’t seem to fit.
My other problem was that the other window on the north wall is shorter than the windows on the east wall. Another problem was that the curtains have the darker section on both the top and bottom. How could I hem them to match when taking into consideration the sizes of the two windows AND the top and bottom of the curtains.
We’ve been living with them like that for some time. We just needed something to cover the windows and darken the room. The curtains were doing that much.
I debated about it for some time…I debated about it until Saturday when I just said I had to do it. If it didn’t turn out, there was really no loss. They would be better than what they were at this point so I took the curtains down and started out by cutting off the the tabs and the facing piece connected to the tabs.
Next I turn the curtain pieces upside down. The bottoms would now be the tops. I sewed one seam across making a casing for the rod. From there, I hemmed them. Nope, not a perfect job but I am happy with them for now.
For the smaller window I just cut a chunk of the middle section of the curtain out and added the darker part back on….again not perfect but I am happy with them for now.
They give us privacy and are a good color for the room. They darken the room so we can sleep…sounds like a good curtain to me…. I am so glad I am not picky. I’m keeping my eyes open for something different but if I have these for a few years, I’m okay with that too.