A post from Kelli–
May 23…the day that I had my foot surgery to remove a ganglion cyst from the inner part of my right ankle. Ideally, I would have taken my two weeks off from work, had a follow up appointment and been donzo–But I like to keep things complicated.
I want to preface this post with understanding that when the doctor told me that I needed to take 2 weeks off from work, I did not. I know that you would think that since I am a nurse, I would know that doctors give directions for a reason and that reason is for them to be followed. While I did do more than I was supposed to, I did much less than I normally do.
So June 6th was the day that I was cleared to go back to work. I worked that next Thursday for a few hours at the Nursing Home and then was on call because we had a lower number of patients on Friday. I ended up going in to work at 3 pm and worked until 7 pm. It was kind of nice to break it in easy that way. I then worked Saturday through Monday. My foot was a bit sore, but my plantar fascitis was worse and hurt more–But I did buy new shoes–Brooks!–which I highly reccommend if you happen to have plantar fascitis issues.
The rest of the week went off without much issue until Thursday night. I had worked a 12 hour shift and my foot seemed a bit more sore, but I just blamed it on new shoes and more pressure and friction than I had really had for a while. Friday rolled around. It still hurt, but now it seemed more red and more swollen. I know that following a surgery, it is common for there to be some swelling, so I didn’t really think it was anything.
On Saturday morning, I was at mom’s. I bumped my foot on a chair and about went through the roof. It was the weekend that Scottie and Buck were home and I didn’t want to get mouthy, but every word in the book went through my head and I about went through the roof. After a bit, it seemed better, but definitely wasn’t right.
I went up and took a shower and by the time I got done, there was pus pretty much dripping from my incision.
Mom and I were headed to Harmony, so we made a quick pit stop at the Urgent Care clinic. I went in and my lovely suspicions were confirmed as they did say that it was infected. They did a wound culture and tried to get more drainage out. I was instructed to keep it covered, soak it multiple times per day, and make a follow up appointment with my doctor either Monday or Tuesday. The provider also put me on Bactrim DS as it was an antibiotic that would also cover MRSA, should that be a factor.
The weekend ended much too soon and before I knew it, my appointment was on Tuesday. My foot had been looking much better. The swelling had gone down, it wasn’t as red, and overall, it didn’t hurt as much. We were happy with it. I had another appointment scheduled for yesterday, so we just left it assuming that I would show up, he would look, and I’d be on my merry way.
It continued to get better for a few days, and then by Friday/Saturday, it definitely wasn’t getting better anymore. It was still draining pus even though I was soaking it and keeping it covered. And it wasn’t just a little bit or occasionally. By the time Monday rolled around, I was actually having more pain that I had since before surgery.
This is what Monday afternoon consisted of. And a little soaking of course!
I had an issue when I first started soaking because it’s further up on my ankle that is the issue and with my big feet, the traditional foot soaking things weren’t very helpful. I ended up using this container that I inheirited from mom that she used to keep her daycare units in.
So I talked to Jason and told him that I was worried that they would want to drain it at my appointment, so he came with to town. He’s not the most fond of medical things, so he dropped me off at the hospital and went to register his crops at the FSA office. After the PA looked at it, he agreed that things are definitely not on the right course, especially after a 10 day course of antibiotics.
So we made a new plan–Switching to another antibiotic (Cephadroxil) for 7 days and then another appointment next Tuesday. If at that time things aren’t moving in the right direction, we will likely be doing a washout. I don’t know if that can be done in the office or what that all entails, but I’m really hoping that I don’t have to find out. We also did some lab work to make sure that certain levels in my blood are at an okay level. I asked about restrictions and I was told that I won’t have any, which is good, because I’m scheduled the next 5 days…..for a total of 56 hours. He said that as long as the pain is manageable, I’m okay to work and be on my feet.
On my way to pick up my meds, I made sure to grab a few more boxes of bandaids and a pair of cheap tennis shoes that don’t rub as much as my good ones in hopes that I can balance the pain of my plantar fascitis and the pain of the infection. But I have a big bottle of tylenol, so I should be good to go!
Overall, my appointment didn’t turn out to be what I was hoping–a quick sign off–but I did get Jason off the farm and we grabbed some chinese takeout on the way home and had a good chat. I’m glad that my nursing schedule lets me do things like that.
After we got home, Jason needed some help in the feedroom working on something. I don’t know what, but it involves belts and belts coming off, replacing them, and me flipping a switch until it does what it’s supposed to do. On my way out the door, I grabbed this picture.
The light just hit everything at the exact right time.
So I’m trying to focus on the good and take it easy when I can. Stay tuned for an update next week!