Last week I came to the conclusion that I’m NEVER going to have a full day to only clean the sewing room so…I need to do it little by little or it’s never going to get done. If I can do 15 minutes or so every night maybe, just maybe the room will get completely done. So Tuesday night I did my 15 minutes. Wednesday night I started doing my 15 minutes and then I came upon a bag of scrap blocks that were in a bad of fabric that I got at the thrift store.
This is what I had. Not much. From the looks of things the blocks in the bottom of the row were disappearing nine patch blocks. The top blocks looked like a modified log cabin.
There weren’t really enough blocks to do anything with. Hmm…what to do with them. My initial thought was to start a box of things that I would send to Ronda. She’s the charity quilter who often makes great things from nothing. She could handle this for sure.
I was a bit sad that I feel like I don’t have time to do something with them. Then I decided – oh, I’d keep them one more time. If by the time I’m done cleaning I don’t have a plan for them, I’ll start a Ronda box. I went to put the blocks down and right next to them were some scrap vortex blocks. Hmmm…these could be scrap vortex blocks…right. If I quit thinking about them as log cabins and quit thinking of them as disappearing nine patches, these could be scrap vortex blocks. YES!!
..and with that, I was not longer cleaning. On my list of “to do” projects was to make a baby quilt for our neighbors. (Never mind that the baby is 4 months old) I started sewing the block together. Hmm.. Not big enough and now that the baby was older I should make a bigger quilt. Hmm.
The little girl’s name is Winnie, named after grandmothers, and likely will never have anything with her name on it. Well I can fix that.
Before long I had this….
I decided bigger. (Never accuse me of making a small quilt!!)
So I added this along the top.
The next night the top was finished and loaded on the frame. Saturday I was up early and started working on it.
I did a loopy design and made it pretty dense thinking it will likely be washed often.
Here it is off the machine.
It’s not fancy but it is unique.
I thought it screamed purple binding so that’s what I did. I’m so thankful for my stash of fabric that I can just grab something for a binding and finish a project without a trip to town.
So here it is all finished. Completely done. YAHOO!! I couldn’t decide which pictures I like best so included them all….
I am happy with it….
..and so happy to finally have it finished!!
Oh..here’s the backing.
Now all that’s left if delivery.
That was one of the fastest baby quilts I’ve put together in a long time. I think there were 8 different sized blocks finished so that helped by free forming the letters takes a bit of time. I have other things on my list that I need to be working on. Harvest starts big time here next week so I’m guessing then I’ll have more time than I want.