It happened. I finished up my Star Gazer quilt.
When I last left you, this quilt was on the frame and I had measured the backing incorrectly and came up about 4″ too short. UGH.
I overcame that finished the quilt and got it bound. Then the weather kicked in with rain, rain, and more rain. That left me unable to pictures. Well…the pictures got taken and here it is….
Overall, I’m really happy with it. It’s a fun dose of scrappy.
In the original quilt the sashing was green and black. I opted to go with gold and black.
One of the reasons this quilt stalled out and didn’t get finished is that I had trouble trying to decide which color would be best for the sashing.
When I asked Hubby what he thought of the quilt…his response…too much green. Look at the quilt. Do you see too much green?When I look at it, I see a lot of blue….oh well. If his biggest fault is that he doesn’t know his colors, I’m okay with that.
This one is going into my pile for a great quilt give away quilt. I have a pile of quilts that I’ve made but I know I won’t keep. If a wedding pops up, I might gift there…if someone visits and I’m in the gifting mood, it might go. I’ve made it through round one gifting quilts to the nieces that I’m close to…who knows, maybe I’ll have round two with them.
I need to make a few more quilts that I’m willing to give away though!!
This quilt was great for my lifestyle. I would sew in the morning before childcare and I would trim and iron if I got a chance at nap time. I love that. Some patterns aren’t as friendly that way.
One thing I did to bring the quilt together that Bonnie Hunter, the creator the pattern, didn’t do is use the same fabric for the red triangles in the block, the inner border and the binding.
Here’s the backing. I started out needing to add something to make the 6 yards of fabric that I had work….I added my left over Talkin’ Turkey blocks.
When I ran out of backing fabric because I measured wrong, I had to add something. I had only a strip of backing fabric left…and it wasn’t quite long enough. This is what I ended up doing.
It’s not pretty at all but it’s done…and if I hadn’t told you, you would have never known. (I like to keep in honest here. I make mistakes too!)
No quilt is complete without a Ruby picture….
That checks another UFO quilt off my list. I’m working on the two Zuckerwatte quilts now. You can follow with that quilt by checking back here on Wednesday.
Other quilt credits include: I used the quilting motif that I always use…this one. The quilt is a Bonnie Hunter design and can be found in her book Scraps and Shirttails I.