I couldn’t be happier with this quilt. Seriously so happy with how it turned out.
Here’s a far away teaser picture…
Let me bring you in for a closer look.
If you have been following along, you might know that I previously had the center done. It’s a Bonnie Hunter pattern from THIS book. The pattern is called Virginia Bound. My daughter and I had gone to a Bonnie Hunter class with the Mississippi Valley Quilters back in 2012 and worked on this quilt while we were there. I ended up making my center area a little larger and then got stuck. The designed border didn’t click with me and I had seen that June of the Mississippi Valley quilters had appliqued her border and I always thought about doing that.
The center portion of the quilt has been done for some time but then it just sat because of my indecision.
I did a little tutorial on how I sewed the blocks in THIS blog post.
This is what the original quilt looked like.
Long ago I had made my daughter Kalissa this quilt…
She got married to Craig and they had three boys. I made each to them a baby quilt…
In order it was Carver’s, Gannon’s and Anders’.
Craig was joking one day and said, well where’s my quilt?
That got me thinking…”Where is Craig’s quilt?” I needed to make him one. Of course I wanted it to be in similar fashion but also his own. That’s when I remembered that center of the Virginia Bound quilt. It was all finished. It was also made from shirt fabrics. Could I just add a border that was similar to the other quilts? YES.
…and that’s how it came to be that this quilt was finally finished.
I did stall out on what to “write” in the border before that I stalled on how to color the border. Did I made it dark colored with white letters or white with dark letters…and what on earth should I do with the space where there was no words?
Finally I decided to just start making Craig’s name. That seemed best with white background and colored letters…then I was back to what color. There isn’t a lot of red in this top…so I went with blue for the letters.
Then I was stuck on what to do with the space that was left after his name was made. I felt like there needed to be some balance. I decided on some more words…but what words? I ended up with “worthy-trusted-loved”.
But then it was another decision. What to do with the space between those words and his name.
The mess was all over the sewing island from Anders’ quilt and I had a few blocks leftover from that. I decided to border them with white and use them up in Craig’s quilt.
I was pleased with the look. So often we border quilts with dark prints…I like this in white…I debated again about the binding. I ended up going with a white stripe…again, I typically end with a dark binding. I didn’t want to box in the quilt so the white seemed like a good option. It was actually striped yardage I had that looks like shirt print. It’s a piece that I found a the thrift store.
Oh…I just love the look of this quilt. I love quilts made from shirts…just love it.
The backing is pieced. I have two thrift store fabrics and a few more orphan blocks.
The white is the same print as the binding.
I did a simple stipple on this. I didn’t want anything to overwhelm the design of this one. A stipple was perfect.
We had to get a Rosie picture…Izzy was off being Izzy.
We had to get a Craig picture too.
Craig was happy to get the quilt…The first thing he said was, “I’m sleeping with it tonight!” HA!!
I’m just all around SUPER happy with this quilt…happy to have a UFO finished. Happy I didn’t put tons of money into it. Happy to have come up with the perfect design to fit the quilt…happy that Craig was happy to get it. It’s really one of the favorite quilts I’ve ever-ever made.