The minute that I saw Bonnie Hunter’s quilt Bitcoin, I knew I wanted to make it. I actually laughed when it was released. As it was released with another pattern at the same time and it was kind of like a “buy this pattern and get Bitcoin for 1/2 price” type of deal. I was the odd duck. I wanted Bitcoin and didn’t really care about the other pattern.
I loved the pattern so much that I, pretty much, started sewing on it right away. I loved it that much.
I put in on the quilting frame right away and then the project stalled. My shoulder started acting up and everything with the family got really busy. My quilt just sat on the frame for over a month.
I recently got it off the frame and Rosie claimed the quilt for herself.
Just before Christmas I kicked her off it and finally got it bound. Then I waited for a day when it wasn’t windy to take pictures but that didn’t happen so I finally took it outside and decided to do the best I could.
You can see I didn’t have the best luck snapping pictures.
Bitcoin is exactly the kind of quilt I love making and it fits in so well with my childcare life. I can easily sew on a quilt like this in the morning before my childcare life begins and then do trimming over naptime in the afternoon.
It was a windy day. You can click the arrow in the next picture to see how windy it was…
I really couldn’t get a good picture. This is about as good as it got…
I used reproduction prints. I had a big tote of them plus a tote from my daughter. Any greens in the quilt are courtesy of her.
When I was sewing this quilt together I had a blog reader write to “correct me” to tell that I had made an error and didn’t keep the light/dark pattern going correctly. I appreciated the suggestion but that’s not how this quilt is made. Two pieces are picked from the strips that have been gathered and they are sewn together. There really isn’t one designated as the light or dark. Often times the two pieces are of similar value.
For the most part, I used very little light-colored fabric. I did use some medium prints. I’ve found when I collect strips that I often use the light prints. I often use the dark prints. I rarely pick out the medium-toned fabric. I put LOTS of medium-toned prints into this quilt.
I started out thinking I wouldn’t add the pinks and purples but in the end, I added them. One of my favorite parts of the quilt is when the dark colors align making it almost look like a double-wide segment.
I know I’ll get some questions on the quilting. You can’t see it. I used a thread called rum on the top and a reddish on the back. Rum is a gold color. I used my hook and feather motif. You can watch a video on that below.
Once I laid the quilt out on the lawn, the light changed and the color wasn’t quite right.
Of course, I didn’t realize the light was wrong until I got in the house and it was dark. It happens…
The backing was sent by a blog reader. I initially put it in the charity quilt pile but then as I was sewing this, I thought it would make the perfect backing. I ended up taking it out of the pile and putting one of my backing fabrics in the charity quilt pile.
I needed to add more to it to make it big enough. Being I was in a kick to use up fabrics for my strip baskets I simply sewed strips together and added them.
I had on row extra of little strips sewn together so rather than put them in an orphan block basket, I put them in the backing too.
I had a printed brown and used it for the binding. I thought about making a scrappy binding but ended up with the brown.
I couldn’t leave you without a Rosie picture…Look at her sitting like a good girl.
This was a fun quilt to make. If you hate matching seams, this one isn’t for you….there A LOT of seam matching but for me, totally worth it!
This quilt will be going on my bed as soon as my current quilt goes off. I have my red and white Hunter’s Star quilt on my bed right now and will leave that on through Valentine’s Day.
You can find the quilt pattern on Bonnie Hunter’s blog.