A post from Kelli–
It seems like I’ve been zooming through projects lately. I think that part of it is being done with school and part of it is that I’m trying to make up for lost time that I wasn’t able to sew much when I was in school. I’ve also tried to get things sorted out more so that I have my sewing machine more easily accessible and can make the best use of short spurts of time when I am gifted with them.
One project that I’ve been wanting to work on for a while is Garlic Knots. This is a Bonnie Hunter pattern–big surprise!?!? I know!
The block first appeared in her Addicted to Scraps column in the January/February 2014 issue. I was interested to see what would come of the block as most are turned into a quilt or project for a future book or other publication. I wasn’t sure I would be making whatever project it may be, but I was sure going to keep it on my radar.
Fast forward another little bit and I was talking to mom one day and she mentioned that she had the pattern and planned on making it, but she just didn’t know what she was going to use. After a suggestion from Connie to use batik’s mom decided that’s what she was going to do. I was interested, but didn’t have a ton of batiks, so I decided to stall out a little longer.
Fast forward some more–I was home to mom’s one weekend and she mentioned that one of our local fabric shops was closing and wondered if I might want to take a little drive over to check out their sale–UM YES!?!?! Oh and there’s a McDonalds in town?!?! Double yes! We headed out and were greeted to find that they were having a pretty deep discount on their current fabrics–and the best part was that they had a very large array of batiks!
After a little bit of shopping, lots of picking and putting back, and then just pulling pretty much every batik bolt, this is the pile that I came up with. There are a few yard cuts, some halves, and I believe some quarters. I have a few fat quarters floating around somewhere that I’m going to dig out too to add to the pile.
This past weekend, I’ve been working overnights, so I’ve had a couple bits of time here and there that I’ve been able to look at the pattern and have gotten a pretty good cutting plan in place so that when I find time to cut into my pile of wonderfulness, I’ll be ready and raring to go.
Hopefully the next time I show you my “progress” I’ll be a lot farther along–and actually have progress!