I have a finish! It’s been awhile since I had one. It feels so good…way good.
If you remember, I had my Daylilies quilt on the quilting frame and was at a stand still trying to decide on a quilting motif. I decided I was going to let other things go to the way side and focus on this baby quilt. So Daylilies first. I worked on it early Monday morning emptying one bobbin before work. Then Monday night Hubby wasn’t home so I was able to empty a few more bobbins. Then Tuesday morning anther bobbin. Finally on Thursday night I finished it and loaded this one on the frame. I was tired and was hoping for an early bed time but then I started the “quilting motif” debate. Something jumped into my mind and I decided to only go back and forth a couple times to see it I liked it….and if you’re a long armer, you know how that goes. I finished the quilt an hour later.
Kelli was still awake so I sent her a picture of the quilting. She liked it. I do too. It softens the boxy-ness of the squares. It was free form and really easy to do.
Friday morning I was up early and got it bound.
and here it is…all finished.I ended up liking it.
I varied the pattern by making a 5 x 5 setting rather than a 4 x 5 setting.
I also added the “J” for Jenna.
This was completely scrappy and all from stash. I had bought some scrap bags from Connie when we were at the retreat. This was mostly those scraps. I did have to add some printed whites.?
Another variation to the pattern was the outer border. The original pattern ended with the white border. Being this is a baby quilt I thought a printed edge might seem a little cleaner.
In hindsight I wish I have make the “J” purple or teal.
I will use this quilting motif another time. It was easy and I like it.
The backing was in my stash. For thread I used white on the front and the back.
If you’re looking for the pattern it came from this book, Oh Scrap, (WHICH I LOVE!!). I’ll be making more quilts from this book.
This is the original pattern. Note that each of the center squares in navy blue. I did mine teal instead. I thought is was a little more girly.
The “J” pattern came from this book, Spelling Bee. I am impressed with this book too. The letters come in a 12″ or 6″ based size. The “J” was not 6 1/2 wide so I simply added a strip of fabric on two sides and then trimmed it to the size I needed. There are lots of good interchangeable patterns including in the book. I like this book lots too.
If you’re a long term blog reader you know that the family this quilt is going to didn’t find out if they were having a boy or girl. I took a wild guess and thought a boy. I started a boy version of this and had all the blocks finished. I decided to keep going with it and started sewing it together thinking I’d be ahead if I need a boy baby quilt….well…before I even have it finished someone contacted me and wants a charity quilt. Hmm… I might need to finish it up and donate it. A quilter’s work is never done!!!