My sewing room has been a mess….I’ve gone through a couple times thinking it was how I wanted it-thinking I had purged-thinking I was set. But, I’ve not been completely happy….so I started gutting it.
I started last week…I think it will take me the rest of the month to finish it. Here’s how it’s looking right now.
Cringe worthy, I know.
The part that is the worst for me….the adjoining closet. It was terrible. No matter what I did, I couldn’t figure out how to get it under control.
I’ve gutted before but I still end up with some form of this mess.
I decided that I wanted all new shelving in the closet. I wanted the shelving all to be the same. What is in there now was a shelf I got at a garage sale and another that used to be somewhere else and another that Hubby built long ago for a different space. Some were wood-some were metal. I was thankful to have that but…I really wanting all the shelving to be the same and go for a neater more clean look….so I broke the bank and went and got some nice matching shelving at Home Depot.
Then the shelves stayed in the garage and nothing got started. I was waiting for Hubby and although he’s awesome at helping, he HATES assembling shelving. So I finally decided it was time and tried to tackle it on my own. Oh my, I tried getting a set of shelving up the steps and about died….and that’s about the moment Neighbor Girl came over with her cousin. It was perfect. They helped me assemble two sets of shelving. It was actually super easy to assemble. I didn’t need a single tool to do it.
I thought I could put the shelving in on one side, transfer the stuff to the other side and not have to drag it all out but UGH. That didn’t work….and I hated the way the shelving was…see how it overlaps the door way? UGH.
I thought I had this all figured out….but this isn’t going to work….so in with plan B. I would used three of the new shelving units and one of the old ones. I picked the one that had the silver metal so it would be most likely to match.
I ended up having to take EVERYTHING out of the closet. Slowly I’ve been putting it away.
In the meantime, this is the look of my hallway….
The actual sewing room is still a terrible mess. I’ve been thinking through this as much as possible. My next plan is to take the ice chest that is on the wall on the right and swap it out with the cupboard that I use for a cutting table that is on the far left….so this project won’t be done for quite awhile. For the most part I’ve only been working on it in the mornings. I’ve been avoiding sewing at all until this gets more under control.
I think it all looks more terrible than it actually is. If I have about four good hard hours at it, I think it would all be looking good.
I have to say, that closet is looking awesome. I couldn’t be happier with it. I’ll save the after pictures of it until I’m completely finished. I’m hoping I can get a good amount of time to dedicate to it on Sunday…I’m over the worst part. Now I just need to stick with it through to the end.
Find me back here next week…I’m hoping I might have my sewing room a little further along.