A post from Kelli–
Just like many of you readers, I’ve been working on Bonnie Hunter’s Mystery quilt–On Ringo Lake (http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/on-ringo-lake-mystery.html?m=1).
I’ve been trying to keep up, but with work, it’s been a bit hard. Also, I decided to make mine in batik’s and since I don’t have much of a batik stash, I’ve needed to go out and buy what I was planning on using for the quilt. I had made one shopping trip with Mom, Connie, Jody, and Kalissa and bougth some great fat quarters, but didn’t have quite enough for all of the yardage that Bonnie said was needed. I also decided to change my colors around a bit. I decided to substitute purple scraps for blue and use a constant pink in place of the melon/coral colors. I bought enough of the constant pink that I planned on using, but then dipped into it for a few inches to finish up another project. I also wanted to make sure that I used creams more so that whites, so I bought a few but didn’t have quite enough. I was planning on picking up a few somewhere, but then life happened and I didn’t.
I think I got through part 5, but haven’t had quite enough of the neutrals (or time) to keep up with the rapid fires. I did sit dow the other night though and cut out what I have fabric for so that I know what I need. Because I borrowed from Peter (Pink fabric) to pay Paul (Garlic Knot cornerstones) I need to pick up about a yard of a pink. I’ll probably use another constant and I’ve decided that if I can’t find something that is an almost perfect match, I’ll probably try to find a piece that is 2 shades or so darker to finish the larger half-square triangles.
My goal is to have the top done by the end of the month, but with my work schedule it’s going to be dicey–But I’m still going to try!
I’ve also been working on making Bonnie’s Moth in the Window quilt from her newest Addicted to Scraps quilt book. I have been collecting shirts forever, but haven’t been able to make a quilt completely out of shirts yet. I originally planned on making this one my first one, and so far, I’m right on track. I had started cutting it out last summer at our quilt retreat, but once I got home from the retreat, I needed a break from quilting and put it away for a while.
I have recently drug it out and realized that I should have arranged it slightly differently so that it wasn’t quite such a hot mess, but I didn’t so now I’m trying to sort it all out. I think I’ll end up with enough parts and pieces that I’ll be able to get all of the blocks made, but with just a little extra effort.
Regardless, I’m going to keep working on it. I think that once I get it done, I’ll really like it! I like the darkness of it and am hoping that the colors I’ve chose will work. If not, I now have plenty of shirts that I should be able to make a few new blocks too.
As for now? I’m off to battle some nasty virus that I’ve contracted. I have felt crappy for a few days, but have worked every shift and put in quite a few hours over the last few days so just thought I was feeling run down, but when I woke up this morning, I knew I had something because I felt like I got hit by a bus. I ran into the clinic to get tested for influenza because that’s what it felt like and I’ve been exposed, but the test came back negative so that’s good. The nurse, doctor, and I were all surprised, but they said that I might have tested too early for it to come back as positive or it just might be a nasty virus. Either way, I’ll be spending some high quality time on the couch hanging with my bestie–Puppycat!