UFO Progress: Rick Rack Nines and More

image_pdfimage_print

From now until Bonnie Hunter’s new book comes out in September you’ll find me right here on Wednesdays sharing my progress on a UFO (unfinished project).  My hope is to get some finished so I won’t feel guilty sewing on new projects from her new book.  It’s not to late to join in the fun.  You can find my first post about it here.  You can see my listing of all my Bonnie Hunter UFOs here.

Last week when I wrote about my UFO progress I thought I was stuck.  Kelli and I share all the fabric around here and she had taken the 2″ scrap bucket.  That left me unable to make the setting triangles to keep on working on Rick Rack Nines.

I thought I would just set the whole project aside but then I read a note in the comment section from Tina in NJ that said, “Doesn’t it sort of defeat the purpose if you work on a different UFO each week? Oh well, at least they’ll each be further along. ;)

That got me thinking…was there something more I could do on this project?  I did want to keep the project moving.  Then I decided there was something I could do.  Looking at the pattern I noticed that most of the rows need to have two of the nine patches sewn to each other so I started sewing the nine patches together.  Then I noticed that I’d need quite a few rows that needed to start with a background setting triangle so I sewed a bunch of them.

UFO-1

So some progress was made on this project…not a lot but enough to make me feel good..enough to keep the project going.

Kelli suppose to be coming home today so I’m hoping she remembers the 2″ strip bucket so that next week I can get the pieced setting triangles sewn.  So far, I’m really liking my plan with this one…Getting those triangles pieced is my goal.

I ended up grabbing another UFO…  Rectangle Wrangle.  I hadn’t sewn a stitch on this.  I have all of the shirts and black cut for the center of the quilt but that’s it.  I decided to start leader and ending the strips to make the blocks.

UFO-2

Happily I got about 10 done.  They are pressed but now need to be sewn into a tube then cut into strips.  This project was closest to the machine and I could leader and ender it for now so that why this one moved up the list and got started.  I’m not sure if I’ll jump into Rectangle Wrangle full force once Rick Rack Nines is done or if I’ll keep working on it leader and ender style.  I do know that at some point I need to cut the star blocks that go around the outside.

Much of my time over the last week was spent finishing up the baby quilt that I needed for a baby shower this weekend.  If you missed seeing that, you can find it here.

I should probably be sewing on more quilts for upcoming weddings this year but for now, I’m not going to get too worked up about them…I’m enjoying working on these UFOs.

See you back here next week…I sure hope Kelli remembers the 2″ scrap bucket!

Comments

  1. Nell says:

    I finished the binding on Pineapple Blossom this week. I am working on getting my sewing room cleaned and organized, so I can get some serious sewing done. That seems to be a constant work in progress. I am trying to get rid of the things I don’t use or want and sort the things that I want/need. I’m going to see if I can link my Instagram post above.

  2. Andresa says:

    Due to a quilt retreat weekend a couple weeks ago, I made significant progress on my friend’s Cozy Cabin quilt. During that weekend, I had all 36 log cabin blocks completed. Then there was the week where I didn’t do any sewing. These 36 small blocks get put together with interior sashing and a center square to make 9 large blocks. I have the 3 rows for each of the large blocks done. Goal for this upcoming week is to sew the large block rows together so they are completed and cut the units needed for the next step of the project: flying geese for the border.

Speak Your Mind

*