Well…I made some progress. I wasn’t sure I would made much progress with the mystery clue #1 to tackle.
You can see that the brown string blocks were all de-papered and trimmed over the weekend. Yahoo. It’s progress.
I used the pieces for a little lesson on counting and on shapes. We practiced the shape named triangle. I used anything practical that I can think of to add a little learning to our day. I had the childcare kids help me count them into piles of 10. It was good for my little ones to practice counting.
I had one of the older kids there too. For her I showed he how to count by 10’s. It was fun for her to see how many 72 was. For a five year old, 72 is a big number. I got the quilt book and showed her the directions at a glance so she could see what the number 72 looked like. I asked her to look at the directions and tell me what she thought I needed to do next. She looked and studied then told me I needed to sew them to the neutral triangles.
I’m doing what I can to stave off the “Why do we have to learn this. We’re never going to use it.” thought. I want to show them all the reasons why they need to learn math. I also want them to see why it’s important to learn to read and follow instructions. I want to show them adults need to follow directions too. I love simple practical lessons.
So that’s my next week goal. These brown triangles are getting sewn to the neutral triangles so I can have square blocks. It’s not a big goal but one I think I can handle without too much stress.
Check back in next week and see if I made my goal.