String Challenge and Mystery Sewing

I’m hooking up with Bonnie Hunter’s Mystery Quilt link up today.  Welcome if you’re new here and the link up brought you.  We are a busy blog with update twice a day, unless life gets in the way.  There’s always something going on here!!

Last week I finished up the quilt for the wedding and then the busyness of the week before Christmas set in.  On top of that…I caught a nasty cold!  I didn’t know how mystery sewing would go but it went fine….

I cut it out on Friday over naptime..and then more cutting while making supper.  I did some sewing Friday night….Some again on Saturday and finished the sewing of the flying geese on Friday night.

WWon-3

It appears that I have enough!  I’ve debated about making a few more each time the numbers are given and make the quilt bigger.  75″ x 90″ really isn’t very big.  It will do a twin sized bed and that’s about it.  Hmmm.  At this point, I’ll wait until the final reveal to decide what I’m doing.

In the middle of cutting out for this I realized that I am running VERY low on neutrals.  UGH.  It wasn’t the problem of the directions it’s the problem of me!  In the middle of this I raided my neutrals and cut out another quilt so…My neutrals are almost gone.  Just at that moment I realized that Hubby was in town doing an errand in West Union.  They have a quilt shop there that I rarely go to.  In the past one of the reasons I didn’t go was they didn’t have tons of fabric I was interested.  They actually had LOTS of batiks.  Well I got the idea to call there and see if they could cut fabric and Hubby could pick it up.

I called Hubby and asked if he would mind stopping if everything was ready.  He said he would gladly stop (one of the many reasons I love this guy).  I called the shop and they said they could quickly have it ready.  I told them I didn’t care what they sent.  It had to be a neutral and wanted a quarter yard cut.  It didn’t matter if it was fat quarters or yardage and that I’d take up to 20 different cuts.

This is all I had left….There was limited variety.  Most of them are only a few inches wide.

stash-1

Here are the new fabric cuts….Ah…I feel much better as the next clues come that I’ll be prepared.

stash-2

I was worried if in the next clues, we’d have to cut out 3 1/2″ squares or something like that, I wouldn’t have enough fabric.

My batik supply is somewhat limited as I just started shopping for batiks over the last month or so.

Onto my String Challenge:
For those of you who have been following along with me, you know that I’ve challenged myself to finish all of the quilts in Bonnie Hunter’s new book String Fling before her new string book comes out….I only have four that aren’t finished and all of them are started….so….here’s this week’s progress.

All of the applique is pressed and in place for the Daylilies quilt.

WWon-4

5 1/2 blocks have the applique finished.  It’s not hard but it is time consuming to prep for applique.

I know some of you are working on finishing projects before the new book comes  out as well.

I’ll see you back here next Monday with more mystery sewing and more Sting Challenge sewing.