I was rummaging at the local thrift store looking for cotton shirts for quilting on a $2 per bag day and came across this shirt.
I’ve been trying to spruce up my wardrobe and quit wearing things that are so plain and so predictable. When shopping I have purposely been trying on things I don’t typically wear. Bling and sequins are so not me…so this shirt was the perfect candidate for me to wear to get out of my plain and predictable phase.
I put the shirt in the bag and brought it home. I was showing my daughter Kalissa and she said, “Bling…really? Where is my mother? She doesn’t wear bling.” Then I tried it on and she liked it. That’s when we realized a button was missing. No wonder the person gave the shirt away.
I looked in the seam..no extra buttons…shucks. After a little assessment, I thought I could make it work. I took a scissor and cut off the lowest button loop.
The shirt was originally suppose to have four buttons. Now that I removed the bottom button and loop, it only has three…no big deal at all. While I was working on the shirt, I realized that button number one was ready to fall off too so I resewed it on as well. The whole mending job took five minutes.
All in all….it’s a good addition to my cheapskate wardrobe. Total cost of the shirt… 20 cents! It always amazes me when people give away clothing because they don’t know how to mend. I guess their loss is my gain.