Wild Child is finished!! That means I have the 5 childcare Christmas quilts finished. I’m so happy. I feel a bit freed up.
I’ve made this quilt before… The one below was done in the colors from the book. The book I’m referring to String Fling by Bonnie Hunter.
In the book she uses a teal color for the alternate blocks and a floral print for the border.
This is what I ended up with…polka dot backing, the floral and pink borders. I like that version but I’ll admit, I like this one even better. I think purple is more my color.
This quilt came together quickly as I had 20 white blocks already done. See when I made the first quilt I oriented one set of white blocks the wrong way with triangle direction not matching. I decided to set those blocks aside with the intention of pulling them out one day and making a baby quilt.
When I bought the border fabric I bought enough of if for binding too.
Back when I was a new quilter I wouldn’t have matched border and binding. I liked a boxed off look of a different colored binding. Nowadays, I like things easy and flowing. I knew finding a matching binding that wasn’t the same fabric would be challenging so I bought 3/4 of a yard more of border fabric.
You can see my awesome white based neutrals. They make me smile.
I did a simply loopy quilting motif. I do this freehand on most kids quilts. I figure they will be washed often. Also, on a busy quilt like this, there’s no need to add custom quilting.
It was getting dark as I was taking pictures. I’m so surprised they turned out.
At the time I made the first version of this quilt a couple years ago I was so frustrated I screwed up those 20 blocks…today, I’m thrilled I did. This quilt turned out so nice…even nicer than the original I think.
The backing is teal that was in my stash. Happily is was a 108″ backing fabric. No need for piecing on this one!!
Isn’t it a happy quilt??
Of course a Ruby picture….
Can you believe I accidently made extra blocks? AH…rather than put it all the mess away, I’m going to make a baby quilt. I’ll need to make about 15 extra blocks…no biggie. I went to the fabric shop to get more of this border fabric. DARN. There wasn’t any. I got something else at the fabric shop but I’m really tempted to order this. Hmm. I found this on Quilted Twins. It is close but not the exact same of coloring as the one I used above. (Find it here)
I’m still not sure what I’m going to do…I did end up buying something else at the quilt shop so I think I’m going with that. I’m going to get the center together and then decide which way to go. I might just have to order this.
I would like to advise that I think it’s best if you pick the border fabric first..then the alternate block color..then the inside border color.
I really don’t mind having a little extra Kaffe fabric around. I have been collecting Kaffe fabrics and a quilt from them is going to happen.
In the meantime…I’m celebrating the finish of this quilt and patting myself on the back for the finishes I’ve made in the last few weeks. It’s a great feeling to have it done!!