I’m so thrilled to have this one done!! The baby has been contemplating an early arrival….well not the baby as much as Kalissa’s recent tests and ultrasounds. A week ago at an ultrasound little Mr. Friedman was already an over 8 pound baby. That was with a month to go. A C-section before the due date has been mentioned…for now we wait. We need to keep that baby incubating as long as we can.
In light of all of that, it’s good I have this finished!!
I took a lot of pictures and hope to do a little commentary on the process of my thinking while I made the quilt.
Check out the wonky log cabin blocks in two to the corners…I love how they look…. I did them like this with the hope that the neutral background would “turn the corner” with the letters.
With Carver’s baby quilt I bound in red…this time I decided to see if I could use one shirt and have enough for binding. I easily did.
I went with a blue and I really like the look. The red made it seem a little more “fenced in”.
There is a lot going on with this quilt. It’s busy but I love it. The blocks are actually sewn together in rows. The blocks were 8″ wide but they could be any length. They were then sewn into strips to come up with a 40″ row.
Then I put on a 2″ inner border. The the outer border was again cut at 8″ wide.
I tried to add some cute details…see the little strips of scraps under the letters. It would have been MUCH easier not to add that but I wanted to spice it up.
To make these quilts fun it’s important to “do the little details”.
Other things I did was make LOTS of stars. I made the flying geese line up in a row.
Here they are from another angle.
For the colors I stuck with primarily blue, reds, yellows and neutrals. I like it MUCH better than when I mixed all of the colors in.
Everything is free form. I don’t measure a thing. I don’t plan much of it out. I often find a piece of something in the scrap box and build on to it or I cut it up. I try to change things up….some stars are all the same color, some are red, some have a background scrap for the center of the star. Some are cut wonky after they are made. Some are put on the diagonal…some not.
Here are more stars to check out.
The goal is to make NONE the same.
The backing is a shower curtain from the thrift store. Yep…surprising what I find and come up with. The fabric was 100% cotton and in perfect condition..and it matched! What more can I ask for??
The heart on the corner is ‘cuz this Grandma already loves the little boy whose quilt this will be. I also wanted to show off some more small details. See the flying geese accents. After making all of the letters I realized the letters “O” and “P” were a little bit smaller than the others. That’s okay but I decided to make the little flying geese features so the letters would seem larger.
Then I decided to extend the geese theme and use them as spacers to fill the borders. I love how that turned out.
Of course, no quilt is complete without a Ruby pictures. Here she is….
I adore free form piecing. ADORE. It is VERY time consuming though. I’m actually super happy that Kelli decided that she wanted one like this for her baby. It gives me a chance to keep on working with scraps. Until next time…