Hospital Update

Wow..what a time it’s been!!

I’ve been at the hospital all week. The girls have been holding down the fort for childcare. People have suggested to us to me to close childcare for now but that’s not us and more importantly, Kramer doesn’t want the lot of us to sit around and watch him feeling sick.  So home managing the kids is an okay place for the girls to be.

First my news:
I got my shot on Monday and Tuesday. Today I got my radioactive iodine testing dose so we can scan on Friday to see if my thyroid cancer will show up. I do want to tell you a bit about getting the testing dose.

I went in to get the test dose and I started chatting with the nurse and her student. The nurse had been through thyroid cancer herself and we talked about how horrible it was to go without thyroid replacement medicine in order to be treated. Things have changed since then and the ability to get shots. We laughed and thanked medical advancements. this was HORRIBLE before the shots.

They gave me a paper that I have to carry with me in case I would need to have medical attention over the next few days and I put it in my purse. Then I asked a few questions on the dose I was getting for testing and how that would affect people around me. I explained Kramer’s situation and also said my grand baby was here with me and I wanted to know how “radioactive” I was. They left the room, called over to the expert on radioactive iodine, and then came back in the room. She told me that I would set off alarms should I go through the emergency room doors but other than that, I was okay. She asked for my paper back and wrote a phone number on it should I have any questions. I gave the paper to her, she wrote the number on it and gave me back the paper. I took the paper and put it in my purse. Then it was time to take the pills. I did and then I was off to report to Kramer that I took my dose. He’s been really worried that I keep my appointments. I got back to the room and was telling what happened. I went to get the piece of paper from my purse to show them and there was a $100 bill laying in my purse.  I didn’t put it there. The only explanation I have is that the nurse put the money with the paper when she gave it back to me. I have no other idea at all how that money could have gotten in my purse. NO IDEA! But how incredibly wonderful is that. How kind.

Speaking of kind…
I am finally getting to a computer and saw Kelli’s post giving our address and Paypal link for those of you who offered to help us. Oh my word. We are so overwhelmed. So overwhelmed. We can’t believe the generosity of people near and far. Many of the names of people who have given I recognize as blog commenters. Some I don’t. Kramer and I both can’t be more thankful. You guys are awesome.

Now the Kramer report:
He was on babysitting duty…

Tuesday Buck and Kalissa along with Gannon were at the hospital with us.  Buck left early Wednesday morning and Kalissa left in the afternoon.

Kramer has his neck brace and we’ve learned he’ll likely have it the rest of his life.  With it, it is hard to bend his head down and see Gannon so Kalissa took a pillow and placed Gannon at Kramer’s feet.  It was precious and a picture we’ll always remember.  So sweet.

Pain is always the topic here.  As many of you have likely heard, cancer in the bones is painful.  We are witnessing that…Kramer as the patient and me as the bystanderd.  The day time pain is there but it seams to be managed better day by day.  The nights are the worst but that too is getting better as we go on.

I’ll be honest.  It’s hard to watch him in pain.  It’s hard to see him wince. I walk a fine line between having to encourage him to try hard so we can get him home and wanting him to only sit so there is little chance he’ll be

We had a doctor come in the other day who stood as he talked to Kramer.  Kramer could not see him because of where he was standing. Finally I went over and got the “doctor stool” and gave it to the doctor.  Then I said, “Now he can see you”.   That made me want to scream.  Kramer may have  a broken neck but he is the patient.  He needs to be addressed.  I felt like the doctor was disrespectful.  That is the only person who hasn’t been awesome.   Our nurse Lauren has been a champ.  Sadly she’ll be gone tomorrow and we likely won’t see her the rest of the time we’re here.

Doctors are in and out.  Occupational therapy, dietary, nurses, and people taking him to radiation are here.  Of course there are several groups of doctors in…it’s been a task to coordinate it all.   It’s hard…this doctor has to talk to that doctor and no one can talk to anyone until occupational therapy okays something.  It’s hard to keep track of it all.  Medicine is constantly changing too.  We think we have something figured out and then someone changes it.

As for when we can go home, that’s still up in the air.  The hope is maybe Friday…Maybe Saturday.  We really don’t know yet.  Right now the goal is to get the pain to a point that he can go home on oral medication.  We also need him to be able to get up with and move around with only the assistance on one person or by himself.  This afternoon, we got closer to that.

We are putting things into full speed ahead on getting a bathroom shower put in our bathroom on the main floor of the house.  With Kramer in a neck brace, it will be hard for Kramer to navigate the basement stairs to shower in the basement like he has in the past.  We had always planned on putting a shower in there once we retired.  We’re just doing it a little sooner.

Little by little we are adjusting.  We have many more adjustments to make along the way.  We know that.  Thankfully Kramer and I are still completely and totally in love and in it for the LONG haul.  We made a commitment for better or worse 33 years ago.  Yes, this isn’t the better but we’re doing all we can to do to not make it any worse than it is.  We’re facing this with lots of humor and love that never ends.