I’ve been battling a cold this week. It started over the weekend shortly after I wrote the blog post about praying for Monday to come around and everyone at childcare would be healthy. Sadly, I must have forgot to include me in the request because I ended up with a cold.
When I am sick I try my best to be good to myself. I go to bed early. I don’t push deadlines. I let myself feel how I feel and I do my best to listen to my body. That meant several night this week I was in bed early. Still, I managed to get the quilt done.
I ended up really liking it once it was all finished and the troubles were behind me. The idea for the quilt started with a video from Missouri Star and ended a little differently.
In their video they used a whole layer cake with LOTS of different prints. Me, I started with two fabrics cutting the fabric into 10″ squares. Well the pattern doesn’t quite work the same if you do that…but I didn’t know that when I started.
I also didn’t realize that the bias edges of the blocks would be a bit of a pain in the butt to deal with. All of it is do-able and I don’t what that to deter anyone from giving the pattern a try.
Here’s a closer view….
Being the blocks weren’t able to be used together and I had half turned one direction and half the other, I opted to make a baby quilt.
Once the center blocks were together I could tell that it would benefit from a narrow border to firm up those bias edges. Then I needed to figure something out for a border. I started in on making a checkerboard as that was an easy obvious choice. I ran out of black but found a good substitute. I ran out of white and found something super close. Honestly, unless I said that, I don’t think anyone would really notice.
Mid way through sewing the checkerboard I went into a HUGE panic. What is the checkerboard was “off” when I put the border on. I had already put the inner red border on I hadn’t measured anything. I hadn’t calculated a thing. Happily, without any planning on my part, it turned out perfectly.
I had intended on using a great blue for the backing but being the quilt ended up smaller, I hated to cut into that nice BIG chunk of 108″ backing….so, I dug through my fabric and came up with this for a backing.
There wasn’t enough for the fabric to all run in the same direction so I cam up with this and it’s actually not that bad for a pieced backing.
Because I finished this all up with time to spare, I’m thinking about giving myself Saturday to sew on my own project. I might not give myself the whole day but at least half sure would be fun.