Chalk Painting: The Microwave Cabinet

Hubby had his part of the new microwave cabinet done…now it was my turn.

When Hubby passed it off to me, it looked like this…


I decided to go with cream Annie Sloan chalk paint.  I used it for my kitchen island and want things to coordinate so that was my reasoning in picking cream.    I like the distressed look with dark wax so that’s what I tried to achieve.

Here’s the cabinet painted and waxed.  I opted to not paint the inside.  I like when they look old inside.  I’ll be cutting and putting linoleum on the shelves anyway.  I do that instead of shelf paper and love it.  Hubby is working on getting the hardware put on.


Hubby and I aren’t on a time schedule with our projects…when they get done, they get done.  He’s always busy at the beginning of the month with meetings plus they have been making hay and cutting oats on the farm which means long days and a tired Hubby.

Originally we thought we wanted the drawers to be stained.  We tried but we didn’t like the look so I had to go back and paint the drawers after I had painted the cabinet.  I thought I’d show you how I do it.

Day one…two coats of paint.  It dries quicker than any other paint so it’s easy to do two coats.  The next day I started the wax.  Before I can do that I “rough” it up.  I sand areas off the drawer.  Typically I work the edges and where the drawer pulls will go.

Then I’m on to to clear Annie Sloan wax.  You can see the right side is waxed and the left isn’t.


After all of it has wax on it, I rub it in and smooth the layer of wax out.

After that a little bit of dark wax goes on….See? …

Laundry Room Cabinet: FINISHED!

Do you remember not long ago Hubby and I went to an estate sale and got the truck load of goodies for $11?  Well things are happening with one of the pieces…this one.


I originally told Hubby that I thought we should get it and he looked at me weird.  He couldn’t figure out why I’d want it.  Well it was him who started it all.  He had wanted to build a cabinet to replace this shelf in the laundry room.  We both thought the open shelving we had was too messy.  I told him I thought he could remake this shelf into an upper cabinet.  Then he was on board.


Within a week of owning it, he had it cut down and was building doors.


and shortly after that, he had me chalk painting…and then helping to hang it in the laundry room.  Here it is….. …

My Laundry Room Reveal

Remember my laundry room debate?

I was tired of the mess.  I wanted something cleaner and more functional.  Here’s a little recap.  This was Kalissa’s cabinet that she bought on a garage sale.  She petered out in the middle of redoing it.  Hubby asked her if she wanted to sell it.  She said yes.  Hubby went to work on getting it all fixed up.  Originally the entire cabinet outside was the deep green.


He sanded down the the top and restained it.  Then he roughed up the bottom so it would accept paint.


I put two coats of Annie Sloan’s Graphite paint on it.


Here is my laundry room.  I removed the sewing machine and all the junk on it.  Our daughter Kayla took the machine to her house.


The laundry room was such a mess.  Junk EVERYWHERE!!


Well as long as that was all out of the small room, Hubby decided to pull out the dryer and clean the lint out really well.


Then Hubby and our son Karl started in on trying to get the cabinet to fit.  It was a tight squeeze.


Here it is in place.  My work still isn’t finished…I needed to apply the wax finish.


So one day when Carver was over I put him in the bouncy seat and told him all about the process of applying wax and chalk painting.  Ruby stayed for the lesson too.


They were both very attentive.

I applied the soft wax first…then the dark wax.

All of the pieces in the laundry room have had the same technique.  I personally love the graphite color of paint.  It’s perfect for me as it hides a lot.


My New Little Table

In early October Kalissa and I hit up out last garage sales of the season.

It was a day when I went hoping to find a particular item…a small table.  With the childcare kids I like to keep a rotating activity out on a table.  Over Halloween time I had a pumpkin, golf tees and toy hammers.  The kids would pound the golf tees into the pumpkin.  They loved it.  The activity is great for fine motor skills too.  It’s nice to have a spot for these activities in the kitchen but away from our main activity areas…but close so that I can still monitor it.

I had a “icky” table for this and was hoping to find something more fitting with the other decor of my house.  I don’t mind having a childcare in my home but I hate when it flashes “childcare” like a neon light.

Anyway…right away I found exactly what I was looking for…  $10.  It’s the perfect height for the kids to stand at.


It was a little beat up..and the legs were white but that’s all cosmetic.


I took the sander to the top- then roughed up the legs…then chaulk painted them with cream Annie Sloan paint.  After that…I applied some wax..light first then dark.


Then the project sat.  The next thing to do was add varnish to the top of the table.  That’s typically Hubby’s department…and Hubby was in the field harvesting crops so…it sat some more.  Yes I can do it, but I hate doing things I don’t know about and have to ask…like “what do I clean the brush with” and those sorts of things.  So the project waited until he was done with the harvest.

Here it is all finished. …

Scroll to Top
%d bloggers like this: