Quilt Finish: Zuckerwatte Times TWO!!


If you’re a long term blog reader you might remember that I had started two Zuckerwatte quilts and was debating about trying to do a big push and finish them in time for Christmas.  My two oldest childcare kiddos love the quilt from Bonnie Hunter’s String Fling book and have been asking me for over a year to make them.  I’ve thought the request was a passing thing but time and time again the two have grabbed my quilt book off the counter and paged through the book until they found the “Cotton Candy” they wanted me to make.

I got them together last spring and then, of course, they sat.  No progress.  Then I suddenly looked a the calendar and realized if I am giving them for Christmas, it’s time to finish them!

My plan when I started these was to make two quilts at a time.  Previously in my life I’ve had good intentions of making two quilts and then petered out when it came to make the second.  This time I knew if I didn’t make them both at the same time, they wouldn’t both get done…..so without further ado, here they are!


It’s hard to photograph two quilts at the same time in the wind.  You’ll have to put up with the pictures I got.

The quilts are the same except for the backings.  One chevrons…..


one arrows.zuckerwatte-52

Here’s another view of both of them together…. [Read more...]

UFO Challenge


First off I pulled out my Zuckerwatte quilts and was working on them so I have three UFOs heading towards a finish.  I wrote about the Zuckerwatte quilt yesterday.  Find that post here.

I am working on my Cheddar Bow Ties quilt too.  I pulled it out after I finished a few other things on the weekend when the girls came to sew.  After the addition of the blocks I got done last week I found I had 422 blocks.  I needed 729.  That means I was over half way done but still had a long way to go.

I sewed LOTS of it.  I didn’t really “want” to be sewing on this but this was a good “no brain sewing” project that I couldn’t really screw up while talking with my fellow quilters.  At a retreat it’s nice to get some sewing done but it’s also nice to visit and spend time with the girls.  This was a perfect project for me!

As I told you last week, when I pulled this UFO out I had no idea where I was with it.  So often I make quilts larger…so did I do that with this one?  I had no idea.  After LOTS of sewing I had 319 more blocks done which brought my count to 736!!  Yahoo.  I had enough.  I was so happy.  I was even dancing and singing…yep, I’m just a touch crazy.


Then I didn’t know what I should do after I got the blocks done.  I could have easily grabbed a different project but instead decided to keep on with the bow ties….Either Connie or Kelli suggested that I sew them into fours to make sewing the whole thing together more easy.  That’s what I did.


The only problem…the rows to make the quilt are 27 bow ties long.  That means I needed one twosie on every row.


I sure with I could say I finished the quilt…but I can’t.  Here’s how far I am.   [Read more...]



I’m in the middle of a BIG PUSH.  I’ve told you all in the past that Christmas is a little bit hard for me.  Over the years it’s gotten better but every once in a while a bad year sneaks in and I never really know when that might be so…I’m trying to be proactive.

Last year at about this time I started TWO Zuckerwatte quilt thinking I might give them to my two oldest childcare kiddos.  Crazily I thought I might be able to get them done….that was so foolish and things like that are what causes me to be a little stressed.  Well I continued working on the tops but once the tops were finished I set them aside.

Well once again the clock is ticking towards Christmas but I am bound and determined to get them done BEFORE Thanksgiving.  Hubby is still in the field with harvest and I have time in the evening to really dedicate to them.

Here’s quilt #1 with the chevron backing…..


Here it is finished and off the frame.


One day over nap time I got brave and cut the scalloped edge.  I was so nervous about it but it was easy-peasy…like WAY easy.  We’ll see how applying the binding goes but I’ve done a scallop type binding on two double wedding ring quilts so I’m not nervous about that.

Here is the first one all trimmed. [Read more...]

UFO Challenge: Cheddar Bow Ties


Last week I told you that my Fair and Square quilt was a quilt top.  That means it’s time for me to move on to the next UFO….I don’t know if I am going to stay with this UFO but I did pull out Cheddar Bow Ties.

I started working on these long ago back when Bonnie Hunter first started these as a leader and ender challenge.  I made quite a few and then decided to wait it out and see how she was going to put these together in a quilt…well I waited and waited.


I had 273 done.  I thought I had done so well…that is a lot of stinking little bow ties.  BUT the pattern came out and I wasn’t even anywhere close to how many I needed. I was in shock to think I wasn’t even half way finished.  I ended out cutting out a lot more…


At this point I don’t know if I have enough cut out for the quilt, if I need to cut out more, if I planned to make it larger….I have no clue.  All I know is I have a lot more bow ties to make.

So…I started making them….Here’s how many I’m ready to add. [Read more...]