Well I managed to make it just under the wire. My Celtic Solstice is finished. I am so glad.
When someone asked this fall if I was planning to do the challenge again I thought I would never have time to finish a quilt up..but slowly working a few minutes each day, I managed to tackle my Celtic Solstice.
Sometimes when I finish a UFO I sit back and wonder what happened that made this quilt not make it to a finish line sooner. On this quilt..I didn’t ask that, I knew.
It started with my sewing the pieces together wrong. The pieces with the green chevron are inverted. That was a little disappointing. I was too lazy to rip them out…and frankly, I didn’t care that much about it. Then when I laid it out on the table, I was so disappointed. I thought my color selection on the points was poor. I thought my neutrals had gotten too dark and that the points wouldn’t POP…plus, I thought I should have had a more consistent blue..there was just too much variety I thought.
Well…Once the challenge came I thought I would just trudge through the project just to get it off the UFO list. I didn’t have much hope for it. In fact, I planned to just give it away.
Here’s a blogger confession that most readers don’t realize: Fast forward to the second or third week of the challenge. I took a picture of my quilt early in the week…like Monday. Then I wrote my blog post that would be published on Wednesday. I showed this picture.
Then Monday night and much of Tuesday I sewed on the quilt. By the time the Wednesday blog post was seen by all of you, my quilt had went from that….to this.
Then Wednesday I read the blog comments and someone told me that some of the blocks were twisted. WHAT!?!?! I didn’t realize that the blocks all needed to be a specific direction. UGH.
Now what do I do?? I wasn’t ripping it out. I showed Hubby and he said who cares-I don’t notice it.
So I went with Hubby’s attitude…who cares…most people won’t even notice it. So I am keeping this quilt for me….not because I don’t like it….not because I am embarrassed by it. I am keeping it because it’s humbling. I’m keeping it to remind me that things don’t have to be perfect or even follow directions to still have function and to still be beautiful.
At the new house I am hoping to have the beds in quilt that are a bit according to the season. This one reminds me of summer so I ended up using a “Dream” batting that Ila had sent me. Thanks Ila…you’re the best!! It seems a little more light weight than my typical Hobbs or Warm and Natural. It worked great in the machine.
I coupled the batting with Maxi Lock’s Rum thread. It’s a bit gold. It was easy to pick thread for this quilt.
The backing was PERFECT for it. It’s a piece I picked up at Country Threads closing sale-it’s a Jo Morton print.
All in all, I started out thinking this challenge would stink for me this time around as I wasn’t excited about my project. In the the end, I couldn’t be happier!
My friend Nell who started this whole thing with me last year has lots of progress on her Tumalo Trail. I know I would LOVE to have one of these this far along!! That quilt is on my bucket list!!
This was lots of fun…let’s do it again next year. I’m sure we’ll all have a Bonnie Hunter UFO project by next October. I am just hoping it isn’t Grand Illusion for me.