You might remember that I bought a bag of scrap at garage sale earlier this summer. This is part of the bag I bought.
I sorted through it all and put two baby quilt tops together. There has been a rush of babies and I was hoping to have a couple girl quilts on hand. These pastel batiks seemed perfect for girl baby quilts…and best yet, the project is already started.
Here’s the first one-finished!
I debated a long time on the border. I almost made more blocks and had no border but decided against that as the quilt would have had to been so much bigger because it has to have an odd number of rows and columns to make it work. I have VERY little yardage of batiks so my options were really limited when it came time to put a border on.
If you follow me on Instagram, you would have had the chance to chime in on which border was best. Overwhelmingly, pink won.
I think it was the right choice.
Here’s what I ended up doing with the backing. It’s not my very favorite but I think it looks okay. The fabric was a thrift store find. I would have preferred a softer batik. This is fun and girly though.
I had started out intending on binding it in blue. I had the fabric selected and the quilt along with the fabric was sitting on the kitchen island while I was doing childcare. I had the intention of cutting the binding strips if I got a chance over nap time. Well being the quilt was bunched up a bit I saw the backing and the blue looked horrible together. After childcare I dug through my batiks…no purple. I pulled the purple box of regular fabric and there was the piece I picked. I think it’s perfect for binding…it looks good with the front and the back.
Th original pieces that were in the garage sale bag were so light of a pastel. I really didn’t have any that light so went a step deeper in color…I think that was a good choice too. It make the quilt brighter. The larger triangles of each block are the pieces of my fabric.
I did run into a problem as I was laying out the blocks.
Five of blocks were light background and had pinwheels clockwise and five more like background blocks had pinwheels counter clockwise…the same was true of the dark background blocks. I fretted as in reality I have five blocks of four different designs. UGH.
I ended up deciding not to care.
Unless I would have said something, you likely wouldn’t have noticed that the pinwheels all go in different directions….right?
I did have to make 5 more blocks in the end to have enough for the quilt. My real challenge was matching the white background fabric. All whites are not created equal. I think I did okay…
The quilting thread was white on front and back.
Sorry…there is no Ruby picture today. She doesn’t sit the best as her tail is sore yet….and she’s sleeping now as I’m writing this. Every day she seems to get a little better but in this case, I’m letting the sleeping dog lie. If you missed the Ruby story scroll back and see the post from last night.
I’m so excited that this is done…quilt top two is done and is in line to get on the quilting frame but I have to stop and make a boy quilt…I’m not sure what the design will be. I’m sure something will come to me.