You might remember last week I finished a quilt. Link here. Well I didn’t think I’d like it for it a wedding quilt. Actually I decided to make a quilt for the gal who comes and works with my childcare kiddos on Wednesdays. She’s so sweet and has been so good to my kids and to me. I wanted to thank her with a quilt. Well….I needed a wedding quilt too. That’s when the idea struck. Quilt up my Split Square top and make that be the wedding quilt. That left me about four days to get a backing, quilt, and bind it. The challenge was on!
I started this quilt last year at this time. Here’s my blog entry about how I was making it. The quit was originally a table runner design from Country Threads. Over on Mary’s blog she had a sew along to make a table runner…well you know me, bigger is better so I ran with the idea and made a 90 x 90 quilt instead of the challenged table runner.
Remember I was chasing the clock. I stayed up on Friday night…I pulled it off the frame at about 8pm…the did the machine binding….finished at 10:30pm. I made that deadline with time to spare.
I was up early on Saturday morning hoping to snap pictures and then run to town to find some clothes to wear. I usually don’t operate quite like this but I wanted something new to wear….it had been a long time since I got some new dress clothes.
Sadly the lighting wasn’t the best. I didn’t realize it until I started writing this blog post and alas…the quilt is gone and I can’t retake pictures. The coloring of the very first picture at the top of the post is more what it really looked like.
For the most part, I have reds, tans and creams….I tans and creams are VERY print heavy and in the color spectrum, I would call them mediums.
Just to shake it up a bit, every once in a while I put a brown block in in place of a light colored block.
Some of my lights were pinks.
The backing has a good story….I bought this in the past year at the thrift store. It was brand new fabric for cheap price…I don’t remember, likely $1.50. The chunk seemed big. I started to measure it out. Darn. I didn’t think there was enough. Then I remeasured everything again….Hmm. It seemed like this should work, but it wasn’t working. Then I realized that the fabric was actually 54″ wide not 45″ wide. That’s just the extra I needed. There was more than enough fabric now.
Can you believe a quilt back that matched so well and only a $1.50 in price??
The binding is a dark red/brown. It was about the only fabric I had enough of. I thought I would have to do a scrappy binding but happily, there was enough of this!!
It’s so hard to make a quilt for other when I don’t know what their decorating scheme is…what colors they like…or their taste. I figured this was fairly safe. If nothing else, it can be a Christmas quilt for them.
It’s not often that I think I’d make the same quilt twice…this one, I’d be tempted too. Goodness knows I have plenty of fabric that I could!!
…and what quilt presentation would be complete without a Ruby picture…so here it is!
This quilt finish was a win all around. I think the people I gifted quilts to all got the “right quilt”…and I got another quilt top through the frame!! There is actually getting to be some “wiggle room” on the frame. Yahoo!! It’s about time!!
This quilt is an original Country Threads design. Read more about it here on Mary’s blog.