Saturday of last week I was suppose to have Buck’s kids and Sunday was supposed to be baptism for Jasper. We cancelled it all due to Covid-19. I was some sad but decided rather than sit around and be sad, it was time to really work on Jasper’s baby quilt. During the week I have cut the sashing pieces out….I so wanted to get this done.
Karl was home this day and I told him…I really want to get this done. Do everything you can to get me going on it. He did great. A couple times I got sidetracked and he politely reminded me of my goal. So first up…get the top together.
It only took me a little over an hour.
Then…I got side tracked. For as much as Karl was encouraging me to keep going, Rosie was discouraging me.
I finally put it on the frame and machine quilted it. That took another two hours.
Then it was binding time.
All along, ever since I had so many problems with the pattern, I’ve not been happy with the quilt or my work on it. I didn’t think I did my best sewing, mostly due to the poor directions and mis-sizing.
Here it is finished….
In the end, I am very happy with the finished project. My mistakes aren’t easily seen. That’s a huge relief.
I quilted it with straight line quilting. It seemed appropriate for this quilt. I used white thread on the front and back. I did try to get a picture of the quilting but..no luck. You can see it best in the picture of me binding the quilt. I did just eyeball the straight lines.
I bought the ticking type fabric from Etsy. I’m so glad that I bought enough to bind it too.
The backing was a thrift store find for 50 cents. I liked that idea of a plaid on the backing with stripes on the front.
This quilt, although it looks easy, was likely one of the more challenging quilts I’ve made.
Look how good Rosie is getting at posing on the quilts. This was one of about five pictures. All were totally acceptable. This one was the best.
I can’t tell you how happy I am to have this done.
Kayla likes thrifty things so the top was made of thrifted shirts plus the boughten sashing. The backing was thrifted. The batting was leftovers pieced together. I think I did pretty good.
Thanks to a couple blog readers that sent shirts to me. It really was a bit of a challenge to find only black or white shirts with stripes.
At one time I thought I was going to make a large quilt like this for my living room. That’s a no. That pattern wasn’t good. Thanks Linda for gifting us the book that the pattern came in.
Even though I was frustrated with the pattern at times, it was worth the struggle. Kayla is going to be so happy with it and in the end, that’s what’s most important.