Yahoo!! It is finally finished. Another quilt is finished from my challenge to make all of the quilts in Bonnie Hunter’s String Fling book.
Here is Daylilies.
I have to laugh now when I see it all done. When I first got this book, I liked the quilt but was sure I’d likely never make it. It had applique, in set seams…and I struggled with colors.
Fast forward. I set a goal. I wanted to, one time in my life, make EVERY quilt from a quilt book. I had SO many made in String Fling. I started thinking I could do it and this would be the book to do it with. Then I realized I would have to finish Pineapple Crazy if I were to reach that goal…but at the time, I have 3/4 of the blocks done so that wasn’t a terrible obstacle. But then there was Daylilies. UGH. Applique….In set seams. No. I thought that would make me pass.
Then I decided one block. I could do one block. If I hated it, I allowed myself to quit. Colors was my next problem….
About that time I was in my batik stage. So, batiks it would to be.
Well…I did one block. I wasn’t neccessarily proud of the work I did but hey…it wasn’t terrible. Read all about my first block here. I could see that it would be do-able. I could also see that I needed more practice. Making more blocks would give me that practice.
I decided that one of my goals for 2018 was to do something a little more challenging. Although you long applique quilters are laughing at me calling this challenging, it was to me.
I have yet to find a “LOVE” of applique but I can do it. That was a wonderful discovery.
I do like this quilt done in batiks….Each of my flowers is a different combo of batiks.
I think it’s a fun look.
The alternate blocks are string pieced. I add to my challenge and I sewed all of the strings on my treadle….This was a quilt of firsts….applique, treadle….
The binding was a batik that I had trouble previously finding a use for. It changed in color from purple to bright blue. When I was picking binding I was thrilled. This piece was finally getting a home!!
For the backing I used a piece I had bought on line for a different project. See?When I originally bought the fabric, the coloring made me think it was more red…nope. It was more pink. This was the perfect spot to use it too.
It wasn’t quite wide enough so some leftover pinwheel blocks helped me stretch the fabric to make a wider piece.
I am really happy that it’s all finished.
Earlier this summer we strung clothesline string between two of the posts on the front porch to hang a giant quilt we had. I left the string there and have used it from time to time to photograph more quilts. It works really well. I’m so glad I had the idea. I’m hoping I might be able to use it this winter. I have no place to photograph quilts in the winter.
Of course, I needed a Ruby picture. She’s not made her way into the blog lately. She’s doing good. So far all her previous health problems seem to be under control.
…and with that, I can happily say I only have TWO more quilt to finish in Bonnie Hunter’s String Fling book and then I will have make them ALL.